Circa 1790 Vintage - 10+ ACRES on designated "scenic" country road at the vertex where New Milford meets Roxbury & Washington. Property abuts Weantinoge Land Trust, is situated directly across from The Arthur Carter Preserve, within walking distance to Steep Rock Preserve & a short drive to Mine Hill Preserve. This location helps to define our sense of place & protects the rural character & quality of life in our community. Level Useable and Sustainable Land w/documented state prime farmland soils-partially fenced by both stonewalls & split rails. 2 Open meadows outlined, defined & dotted w/mature Maples, Oaks & clump of White Birch plus seasonal brook to the far right side of the property. This property was the recipient of The New Milford Trust for Historic Preservation Citation in 2017. Main House - 4 Bedrooms & 2 Baths - 2100 sq ft. Period details include 4 Fireplaces random & wide-plank & chestnut wood floors plus 12 over 12 windows. A Country Kitchen, Living/Dining, Den, Library & Sunroom plus Full BA, mudroom & laundry rooms round out the Main Level. Upper Level-front & back staircase to 4 Bedrooms & Full Bath. Newer Cedar Shake Roofs & Furnace. This COMPOUND includes 2-Car detached Garage for cars & equipment. Artists & Writers will fall in love with the Vaulted Beamed Studio with a wall of windows looking over the property. A Caretaker's Cottage offers flexible space. Saddle Up at the 3-Stall Horse Barn or take in the sun around the Inground Pool & wonderful stone terrace for entertaining.
THE NEW MILFORD TRUST FOR HISTORIC PRESERVATION 2017 Preservation Award
David Hurlbut, a family name important to the annals of Roxbury, appears to have been the original owner of 23 acres of raw land, no buildings. The area was known as Fork Hill, and a brook that runs behind the property was called the Fork Hill Brookk, which did then, and still does, run downhill into the Shepaug River. At the time, Roxbury extended up the hill, and was part of Woodbury. By 1754, property had been transferred to two gentlemen of Fairfield County, who then sold to Thomas Clark and John Camp. The price was 25 pounds at the time of sale, November 22, 1792. No buildings were mentioned ini that deed, but John Camp was described as the tenant in 1813 when his sister Debroah, wife of Thomas Clark, sold her half of the property to him, price was $117.00. There is no description of the house, but placing the date for the original building somewhere between 1793 to 1795, it is reasonable to assume that "the house could have been raised and occupied by 1793 or there about". (Michael-John Cavallar).
The house currently sits back from the road, has a kitchen at the back, a dining room, two living rooms (one could have been utilized as parlor), a central fireplace opening onto four rooms downstairs, and three bedrooms upstairs. The stairs are pitched at a very severe angle, both front and back. Current owners David and Anny Ward have owned the property since 1984. Years of restoration and memticlous upkeep make the Ward's home an outstanding example of historic preservation.